I am a journalist covering the crypto space and host two popular crypto podcasts, Unchained and Unconfirmed. Formerly a senior editor at Forbes, I was the first mainstream journalist to cover crypto full-time. I now do the podcasts and am the author of a forthcoming non-fiction book from PublicAffairs.
I’m seeking a remote editorial assistant to help with Unchained, my newsletter, scheduling, social media, editing, show notes, etc. I may eventually tack on additional duties with Unconfirmed and with the book.
Unchained is an hourlong podcast that takes a deep dive into one guest, project or topic. Unconfirmed is a 20-minute show that mostly asks the top minds in the space what they’re currently thinking about, plus dishes about the news. It’s more conversational and topical and less in-depth, which is why I don’t feel, at the moment, that I need help with it.
What I’m currently looking for with this role:
- Coordinate three to four calendars to book the guests and sound engineer
- Make sure the guests get the instructions on how to be set up properly so we have a smooth sound check
- Edit the show (not actually dealing with the audio itself — making editorial judgment calls and I will OK before we send to the sound engineer to implement)
- Help write the show notes and choose the supplemental links
- Make sure the correct sponsors are credited with every episode
- Curate the stories and draft the blurbs for the weekly newsletter
- Proofread newsletter
- Man general inbox
- Serve as backup for producing the newsletter with the proper subject line, scheduling, etc.
- Prepare the shell for the Unchained script
- Writing and scheduling social media posts
- Potentially: moderate a forum
- Additional duties around surveys, merchandise shop, etc.
- Help launching a new financial editorial business and video series
- Perhaps help with book(s)
- Knowledge of the crypto space
- News judgment
- Editorial judgment
- Ability to think critically
- Equal parts open-mindedness and skepticism
- Detail-oriented for scheduling guests in multiple time zones around the world, doing one’s best to ensure smooth sound checks in advance and crossing I’s and dotting T’s so the scripts read smoothly on the air
- Ability to write snappy subject lines, headlines and blurbs
- Copy editing/proofreading skills
- Video production skills a plus
If interested in this position, please send a resume, three clips and a brief letter explaining why you want the job and how your skills and background make you an appropriate fit to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: “Editorial Assistant.” Thanks!